Monday, June 25, 2012

Tactics - Chair Bombing +

Here is a small survey of some of the tactics listed in Tactical Urbanism that were new to me. 

I had heard of yarn bombing, but not chair bombing! I am so sad I am missing all this fun in NYC! So people are removing wood pallets from the waste stream and using them to build chairs to put in public areas.



Do Tank originated chair bombing but it has now been replicated in several cities, including Philadelphia, Dallas, and Mt. Reiner, MD. Chairbombing has been recognized in the New York Times as a method of Tactical Urbanism. They also hosted a BYO at the BQE post Park(ing) day celebration that looks amazing.

This also reminds me of what my friend Anne Trumble has been doing with her group, Emerging Terrain in Omaha. Their "trugs" are activating a local streetscape.
And the Stored Potential project is a tactic to change people's perceptions about the city and the particular neighborhood where the grain elevators are located.

Stored Potential

I mean this is all pretty obvious maybe, but for me, looking at all of these interventions together, it's such a positive thing. Ten years ago I never would have believed the things that are happening in NY now with bike lanes and Times Square. We have hit a critical mass of urban actions and with the Internet, a good idea can go viral overnight. I really admire all of the people out there making things happen in our cities:)

No comments:

Post a Comment